Thursday, July 16, 2009

My grandma lied to me...


So my grandma and I had a conversation last week about how morning sickness doesn't run in our family and I believed her. She told me she herself never had a stitch of morning sickness. Anyone who has asked how I am feeling lately, I have replied "Great! Really haven't had anything bad at all." I have happily gloated these past two weeks about how great I am feeling and how I really had escaped the dreaded queasiness (for the most part) and vomiting...Haha not so fast Haley Olson.


This morning I woke up to take the dog out and felt like I was dying. No exaggeration. I dry heaved a couple times then stumbled to the kitchen cabinets for some Ritz crackers and a bottle of water. The crackers felt like sandpaper going down my dry, irritated throat, and the water hit my stomach and instantly came back up along with last night's dinner. I thought maybe I would try some milk. Growing up milk always settled my stomach and made me feel better. I didn't even get a swallow down. The smell of it made me vomit again. No, milk is not an option for the next couple of weeks.


I have googled ways to cope and came up with a couple of things, but for the most part it seems like I will just have to ride it out. Could be interesting since I go back to school next Monday to start setting up my classroom...maybe I will just get use to it and it won't put me down for the count every day? Luckily kids don't come back until August 12, so maybe by then it won't be so bad.


I would love to hear stories from people who have gone through this themselves, or who know someone who has. Any remedies are welcome! I'm going to go try and stuff some more crackers in my stomach so I have something in there. Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. Try sucking on peppermints. Starlight peppermints were my choice. Mint settles your stomach and there is enough peppermint oil in them that they work well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, I didn't have serious morning sickness by any means, but I was nauseous all day long every day for about four weeks and it was horrible! I found ginger chewy candies and tried to eat them plain and it was horrible, so I would dissolve them in tea and that helped. Then I found prego pops and they were wonderful! Everybody has something different that works for them. It will get better, I promise! Take advantage of having Jeff wait on you hand and foot. Because that doesn't last forever!

    ReplyDelete